Saturday, August 20, 2016

My First Week of School (2016 - 2017)

I am participating in a monthly blog challenge called Blaugust.  Click the logo below to check out the other participating blogs. :o)



I have just finished my first week of school with the students. The students started school on Tuesday. We spent the first two days going over classroom procedures, doing motivational activities and getting their iPads assigned and accounts set up.

Here are some of my 1st Day activities that we did in between talking about classroom procedures.

My motivational "Sticky Note" Poster.



We talked about "Struggle" and that it wasn't going to be easy.  I read "A Letter to My Students" that will go in the students' Interactive Math Notebook and then they wrote a letter to themselves.



We ended the day with this AWESOME collaborative team activity that I saw on Twitter. The activity comes from Sara VanDerWerf - @saravdwerf.  The activity is called 100 Numbers to get the Students Talking. I have included her link so you can read the directions for the activity and download the files.


My 8th Grade Math students have come in extremely low again with only 12% proficient. My first unit is Linear Equations in One Variable. To prepare them for the concepts I need to teach them for 8th Grade Math, I always have to start the year reviewing 7th Grade concepts.

To help the students be successful in Solving Equations with Variables on Both Sides, I gave them an Integer Rules Graphic Organizer, with a 25X25 multiplication table on the back. Thursday we reviewed the Distributive Property, and Combining Like Terms.  On Friday we reviewed One-step and Two-step equations.

On Friday, students experienced iMath for the 1st time.  Students did a "Show What You Know" writing response.




Students did their first Socrative "Digital Task Cards" activity on Two-step Equations.


Here is the Socrative Code for my Solving Two-step Equations "Digital Task Cards", feel free to use it. SOC-23374664


Then my students did a "Ticket Out the Door" Reflection in Showbie. I am so happy that they are motivated to learn and willing to try.  :o)

Here are some of their responses.





Thanks for stopping by and checking out my blog... :o)


No comments:

Post a Comment